Wednesday, February 25, 2015

McFarland USA Movie Review

 I saw the Movie McFarland USA Last night. It is the true and remarkable story of the Track team formed in 1987. This story is based in central California, and centers around one of the poorest cities in the country. Immigrant workers, and mainly Mexican –American families. I had a strong sense of pride when I watched this film. Not only do I Identify with the culture deeply, but My roots, OUR roots, are strongly signified within the body of this film. It spoke to me and although I am a HUGE movie buff,  this one, I felt I had to write about.

The reality of this story is, all of the HARD working pickers we come from. And when I say WE, I mean all of the immigrants that formed this country, that rooted us as a people, that made CALIFORNIA what it is. That made this Country the melting pot it is supposed to be... WE, our people, our parents, our grandparents,  are STILL here, doing all of the work that really, no one else would do. Hard working, striving for a better life. This story screamed SUCCESS, COMMUNITY, and PAY OFF. I am loosely quoting this, however, there is a part in the movie where one of the boys,
Jose Cardenas, writes a poem for the school. Talking about “when they run, they become the earth, they are the earth” Cultura. Raza. Jenté. I instantly saw the Mexican flag, the eagle with the snake in it’s mouth, perched on a cactus,  in my head. The Flag that my parents always had hanging around with PRIDE. I come from such proud people. Both in relation by blood, and culture. I identified myself within the story, because, even though these boys story were brought up with a completely different situation than myself,  it had parts within the FAMILY, that were  the same. The sense of community, drive, and strength were all identifiable.

Needless to say, no matter WHAT background you come from, this movie, is a must see. My spirit is rejuvenated. My pride, strengthened. We’ve only got this one life. Do SOMETHING to make your mark in it. Whatever obstacles you may have, Grow from the dirt, don’t become it. It CAN and WILL be done. 


McFarland IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment